Tuesday, June 22, 2010

normallife

The pace changed in Taiwan. My uncle Josh met us at the airport and I felt a lot more at home than I have for the past month and a half. My uncle is a Deetz. Basically, he is a more exaggerated version of my dad. The main differences between the two brothers is that my uncle doesn't know how to play the banjo and my dad can't speak fluent Chinese - a native language in Taiwan.
It was so great to meet my two year old cousin Juliet for the first time. Little kids normally don't like me too much but Juliet really really liked me and called me her big sister the entire time since there is no Chinese translation for "cousin." I like to think this was because she thought I was cool and not because she was the first little kid I have ever met that had absolutely no idea what I was saying to them.
We spent a lot of time doing normal day to day things that actually by now seem a little more foreign to me than traveling after almost two months away from home.
By the time we arrived in Taiwan my brother was tired of getting the eye from airport security and agreed to finally shave off his beard. Luckily the local barbershop was right down the street.

1 comment: