Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Long Beach Day

I've been falling for New York since day 1.
However, there was this little potential deal breaker nagging me...What is the surf like and exactly how hard is it going to be to get off of this concrete island, to feel the sand between my toes and subject myself to getting thrown around by some legitimate waves.     
? ? ?

I set off on a Saturday journey to find out just how 
long my relationship with New York could last.


my conclusion: a very very long time. 

Long beach impressed me to say the least. Its a thick and crowded wave but pretty fun and the crowd is good company, which can really make or break a session in my opinion, especially when your as hazzard prone as I am. A simple  "my bad" did just fine. 

Incase you are new to Manhattan: take the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Long Beach - its less than $20 round trip and under an hour, plus it comes with a beach pass.  

Just watch out while traveling through Penn Station with your board, on Saturdays its: Bring-your-litter-of-slow-children-to-the-city-and-make-sure-to-hold-hands-at-all-times-Day injuries are likely to occur, make sure to protect your fiberglass pride and joy. 

Also, get ready to become more of a tourist attraction than the bright lights of times square. You will kind of stand out, just don't make the mistake of wandering too close to the Quicksilver store in times square (like I did) , you may as well be dressed up like a Disney character in the presence of midwestern children who have never seen the beach never mind a surfboard. 
 

Speaking of Disney characters - I ran into an old friend, Mickey Mouse, its been years! He seemed a little more dodgy than I remembered though. I don't recall him ever holding out his white gloves for a five dollar bill back at the Magic Kingdom...and worse, he's got his women working the streets... this damn economy, sucking the innocence out of every last creature...what a shame.


Good place to eat while you are waiting for the train back into the city:





( relatively affordable despite the look of things )


1 comment:

  1. oh the beach. im so glad you found it! its honestly the first thing to find when you move to a new place and it makes feeling at home that much easier :)

    ReplyDelete